Subject: Re: [ITCH] Specify refspec without remote

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 16:13:32 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:

> And I think now I agree that indeed is a sensible assumption.  I am
> not sure '-' is a good token for that, but I do not offhand think of
> a reason why '-' would be a _bad_ token for that, either.

Random idea: today you can do

	git push origin master; # push branch master to remote origin
	git push --multiple origin korg; # push default refspec to 2 remotes

How about:

	git push origin korg -- master; # push master to 2 remotes
	git push -- master next; # push two refs to default remote
	git push origin -- master; # push master to origin, more explicitly
	git push origin korg --; # push default refspec to 2 remotes, again

	git push host:some/path; # ambiguous argument. Please disambiguate.
	git push host:some/path --; # push default refspec over SSH
	git push -- host:some/path; # push specified refspec to default remote

	git push origin; # is a remote name and not a refname. Good.
	git push master; # is a ref name and not a remote name. Good.

What do you think?
Jonathan