Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] fast-export: add --signed-tags=warn-strip mode

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 09:42:52 +0100

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:50:42PM -0700, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > When you see 78 in the output and you know you have 92 tags in the
> > repository, is that sufficient to let you go on, or do we also need
> > an easy way to tell which ones are those 78 that were stripped and
> > the remaining 14 were not stripped?
> >
> > There is no reason to worry about "some signed tags are stripped but
> > not others", so it feels that the number alone should be sufficient,
> > I guess.  If those remaining 14 weren't stripped, that is (at least
> > at the moment) by definition because they are unsigned, annotated
> > tags.
> 
> Or because they were not exported? Perhaps "78 tags stripped, 92
> exported in total".

I think I prefer Jonathan's suggestion to this one if we need to change
it.

The reason I didn't do this initially was that I assumed that from a
remote helper we would, in general, not be pushing any tags which
already exist, so the number of tags to push will be small.

Printing one message per tag also matches the current behaviour for
--signed-tags=warn.  I don't want to make the behaviour for "warn" and
"warn-strip" different, so should "warn" also print a summary message
instead of a message for each tag?