Subject: [PATCH 2/2] git-svn: clarify explanation of --destination argument

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:32:34 -0700

Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:24:30 -0600

The existing documentation for "-d" does not make it obvious whether
its argument is supposed to be a full svn path, a partial svn path,
the glob from the config file, or what.  Clarify the text and add an
example to get the reader started.

Reported-by: Nathan Gray <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
---
Thanks for reading.

 Documentation/git-svn.txt | 19 ++++++++++++++-----
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-svn.txt b/Documentation/git-svn.txt
index 6c0988e..68c706d 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-svn.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-svn.txt
@@ -271,13 +271,15 @@ first have already been pushed into SVN.
 	Create a tag by using the tags_subdir instead of the branches_subdir
 	specified during git svn init.
 
--d;;
---destination;;
+-d<path>;;
+--destination=<path>;;
+
 	If more than one --branches (or --tags) option was given to the 'init'
 	or 'clone' command, you must provide the location of the branch (or
-	tag) you wish to create in the SVN repository.  The value of this
-	option must match one of the paths specified by a --branches (or
-	--tags) option.  You can see these paths with the commands
+	tag) you wish to create in the SVN repository.  <path> specifies which
+	path to use to create the branch or tag and should match the pattern
+	on the left-hand side of one of the configured branches or tags
+	refspecs.  You can see these refspecs with the commands
 +
 	git config --get-all svn-remote.<name>.branches
 	git config --get-all svn-remote.<name>.tags
@@ -1044,6 +1046,13 @@ Multiple fetch, branches, and tags keys are supported:
 	tags = tags/server/*:refs/remotes/project-a/tags/*
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
+Creating a branch in such a configuration requires disambiguating which
+location to use using the -d or --destination flag:
+
+------------------------------------------------------------------------
+$ git svn branch -d branches/server release-2-3-0
+------------------------------------------------------------------------
+
 Note that git-svn keeps track of the highest revision in which a branch
 or tag has appeared. If the subset of branches or tags is changed after
 fetching, then .git/svn/.metadata must be manually edited to remove (or
-- 
1.8.3.rc1