Subject: Re: git stash deletes/drops changes of

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 13:42:42 +0100

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 01:03:22PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:40:18AM +0100, John Keeping wrote:
> > So that it continues to Just Work for people using buildroot but you can
> > create Makefile.config to override those defaults.
> 
>   Indeed, that doesn't cover some corner cases of (c), but that's not a
> big deal in practice I guess.
> 
>   My point still stands - this is extra hassle, done just for the sake
> of the tool; I think the tool should not get in the way. Moreover, it's
> not the default solution for your typical original author and therefore
> you will still often find yourself in a situation where you have to deal
> with a setup that's broken already.

I think we're in violent agreement here.

I can see that there are cases where an --ignore-changes option that
behaves like --assume-unchanged but without ever overwriting the local
file is a useful feature.  I was simply trying to point at what I
consider best practices for makefiles, which was relevant for the
example you gave.  Sorry if that was unclear.