Subject: Re: [PATCH] Change "remote tracking" to "remote-tracking"

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 11:38:51 -0700

Michael Schubert wrote:

> --- a/Documentation/git-p4.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-p4.txt
> @@ -180,7 +180,7 @@ subsequent 'sync' operations.
>  	Import changes into given branch.  If the branch starts with
>  	'refs/', it will be used as is.  Otherwise if it does not start
>  	with 'p4/', that prefix is added.  The branch is assumed to
> -	name a remote tracking, but this can be modified using
> +	name a remote-tracking, but this can be modified using
>  	'--import-local', or by giving a full ref name.  The default
>  	branch is 'master'.

This is confusing both before and after the patch.  What is "a remote
tracking"?

Perhaps:

	--branch <ref>::
		Import changes into <ref> instead of refs/remotes/p4/master.
		If <ref> starts with refs/, it is used as is.  Otherwise, if
		it does not start with p4/, that prefix is added.
	+
	By default a <ref> not starting with refs/ is treated as the
	name of a remote-tracking branch (under refs/remotes/).  This
	behavior can be modified using the --import-local option.
	+
	The default <ref> is "master".

The rest of the patch looks good.

Thanks,
Jonathan