Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] allow git-svn fetching to work using serf

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 18:37:47 -0700

Kyle McKay wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2013, at 17:28, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> On 7/5/2013 8:41 PM, Kyle McKay wrote:

>>>> Daniel Shahaf has suggested also setting
>>>> "servers:global:http-bulk-updates=on".
>>>
>>> I have a patch that does this, but since turning on bulk updates has
>>> a possible performance penalty, I prefer your approach.
>>
>> I assume that's because http-bulk-updates defeats caching.  If so,
>> makes sense.
>>
>> Please forgive my ignorance: is there a bug filed about ra_serf's
>> misbehavior here?  Is it eventually going to be fixed and this is
>> just a workaround, or is the growth in temp file use something we'd
>> live with permanently?
[...]
> Begin forwarded message:
[...]
>> [2] http://subversion.tigris.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2932

Ah, thanks for the context.

It's still not clear to me how we know that ra_serf driving the editor
in a non depth-first manner is the problem here.  Has that explanation
been confirmed somehow?

For example, does the workaround mentioned by danielsh work?  Does
using ra_neon instead of ra_serf avoid trouble as well?  Is there a
simple explanation of why violating the depth-first constraint would
lead to multiple blob (i.e., file, not directory) deltas being opened
in a row without an intervening close?

Jonathan