Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/4] diff-no-index: Remove unused variable.

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 15:07:39 -0700

Stefan Beller wrote:

> [Subject: diff-no-index: Remove unused variable.]
[...]
> --- a/diff-no-index.c
> +++ b/diff-no-index.c
[...]
> -		else if (!strcmp(argv[i], "-q")) {
> +		else if (!strcmp(argv[i], "-q"))
> -			options |= DIFF_SILENT_ON_REMOVED;
>  			i++;
> -		}

This feature was obviously never tested with --no-index, so I agree it
makes sense to remove it.  Probably the commit message and a comment
should say so, though.  E.g.:

	diff --no-index: remove nonfunctional "-q" handling

	Before v1.5.6-rc1~41^2~2, the option parsing for diff --no-index
	and "git diff-files" shared code.  In "git diff-files", "-q" means
	to be silent about removed files.  In "git diff --no-index", in
	various versions it has been an error, an infinite loop, or a no-op.

	Simplify the code to clarify that it is now a no-op, continuing to
	accept and ignore the -q option in "git diff --no-index" to avoid
	breaking scripts.

I wouldn't mind removing support for "-q" altogether, by the way (as a
separate change).

Hope that helps,
Jonathan