Subject: Re: [RFC PATCHv6 1/2] repack: rewrite the shell script in C

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:03:53 -0700

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Stefan Beller <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The motivation of this patch is to get closer to a goal of being
>> able to have a core subset of git functionality built in to git.
>> That would mean
>>
>>  * people on Windows could get a copy of at least the core parts
>>    of Git without having to install a Unix-style shell
>>
>>  * people deploying to servers don't have to rewrite the #! line
>>    or worry about the PATH and quality of installed POSIX
>>    utilities, if they are only using the built-in part written
>>    in C
>
>I am not sure what is meant by the latter.  Rewriting #! is part of
> any scripted Porcelain done by the top-level Makefile, and I do not
> think we have seen any problem reports on it.
>
> As to "quality of ... utilities", I think the real issue some people
> in the thread had was not about "deploying to servers" but about
> installing in a minimalistic chrooted environment where standard
> tools may be lacking.

Thanks for a sanity check.  Yeah, the second item should be about
minimal chroots, not my sloppy guess about some hypothetical bad
operating system with untrustworthy tools.

Jonathan