Subject: Re: Stalled git cloning and possible solutions

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:10:34 -0700

V.Krishn wrote:

> Quite sometimes when cloning a large repo stalls, hitting Ctrl+c cleans what 
> been downloaded, and process needs re-start.
>
> Is there a way to recover or continue from already downloaded files during 
> cloning ?

No, sadly.  The pack sent for a clone is generated dynamically, so
there's no easy way to support the equivalent of an HTTP Range request
to resume.  Someone might implement an appropriate protocol extension
to tackle this (e.g., peff's seed-with-clone.bundle hack) some day,
but for now it doesn't exist.

What you *can* do today is create a bundle from the large repo
somewhere with a reliable connection and then grab that using a
resumable transport such as HTTP.  A kind person made a service to do
that.

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/181380

Hope that helps,
Jonathan