Subject: Re: [PATCH] diff: add a config option to control orderfile

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:08:49 -0700

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 02:31:16PM -0700, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>> Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

>>> Just making sure: is it correct that there's no requirement to use same
>>> algorithm between patch-ids.c and builtin/patch-id.c ?
>>
>> I think so,
[...]
>> (They already differ in handling of binary files.)
>
> How do they differ btw?

"git diff" without --binary writes "Binary files a/foo and b/foo
differ" and there is nothing for 'git patch-id' to consume for that
file.  With --binary, "git diff" produces entries in 'GIT binary
patch' format which patch-id also skips.

'git cherry' and friends hash in the old and new versions of a binary
file to avoid accidentally dropping changes (see v1.5.3-rc6~9 "Take
binary diffs into accounts for 'git rebase', 2007-08-18, and
v1.7.3-rc0~27^2 "hash binary sha1 into patch id", 2010-08-15).

Jonathan