Subject: Re: Git counterpart to SVN bugtraq properties?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:55:13 -0700

Hi,

Marc Strapetz wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 03:03:14PM +0200, Marc Strapetz wrote:

>>> I'm looking for a specification or guidelines on how a Git client should
>>> integrate with bug tracking systems.
[...]
> Finally, I've created a minimal spec which is sufficient to parse and
> display issue IDs:
>
> https://github.com/mstrap/bugtraq/blob/master/specification.txt

Neat. :)

It reminds me a little of Gerrit's commentlink functionality, though
that tries to solve a different / more generic problem (automatic
linking in commit messages in general, not just to bug trackers):
https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-gerrit.html#_a_id_commentlink_a_section_commentlink

Some projects use more than one bug tracker.  For example, a distro
might have its own bug tracking system and also sometimes make commits
that refer to the upstream bug tracker.  I don't think that's
important to necessarily address in the first version of a project
like this, but thought I should mention it to help plans for the
future.

Gerrit keeps its configuration in a file named "project.config" in the
tree associated to the refs/meta/config commit so a single
configuration can be applied to the entire repository.  Which
.gitbugtraq file should take effect in a repository with multiple
branches?

Hope that helps,
Jonathan