Subject: Re: [PATCH gitk 0/4] gitk support for git log -L

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:25:48 -0700

Thomas Rast wrote:
> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Thomas Rast <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Existing gitk chokes on 'gitk -S foo', but works with 'git -Sfoo'.
>>
>> I somehow thought that we encourage the "stuck/sticked" form, to
>> reduce things the users need to remember to cope better with options
>> with optional value.
>
> I just looked into this again, to get it rolling.
>
> Am I reading you correctly as saying that any support for the unstuck
> form is entirely coincidental, and it's okay to support only the stuck
> version in new gitk?

Sort of. :)

gitcli(7) says that the sticked form is to be preferred "when you are
scripting git".  But most git commands use parse-options, which of
course supports both forms and makes life easier for humans.

Support for just the sticked form is better than nothing, especially
if the gitk(1) manpage gains a note about it.  In the long run I guess
the ideal would be to add a parse-options-like library to the tcl
support.

My two cents,
Jonathan