Subject: Re: [PATCH 12/20] alias: trivial style fix

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 07:18:06 -0700

Stefan Beller wrote:
> On 10/12/2013 09:07 AM, Felipe Contreras wrote:

>> Signed-off-by: Felipe Contreras <[email-masked]>
>
> Not sure if it's worth by a newcomer. ;)

A second set of eyes is always welcome.

My thoughts: I have to admit I don't see much value in mechanical
replacements like this one when done piecemeal and without other more
significant changes on top.  If this was fixing some particular
eyesore, I would understand, and a little preparatory cleanup to make
another patch on top more readable is always welcome, but this kind of
thing:

>> --- a/alias.c
>> +++ b/alias.c
>> @@ -5,7 +5,7 @@ static char *alias_val;
>>  
>>  static int alias_lookup_cb(const char *k, const char *v, void *cb)
>>  {
>> -	if (!prefixcmp(k, "alias.") && !strcmp(k+6, alias_key)) {
>> +	if (!prefixcmp(k, "alias.") && !strcmp(k + 6, alias_key)) {

does not look worth the churn and mailing list noise to me.

A patch that globally took care of these var+constant constructs
without surrounding space and did nothing else, once and for all to
avoid later noise, may or may not be useful.  I suspect even that
wouldn't be worth it, since "k+6" already seems perfectly readable.

So, not too excited by this change.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan