Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH 0/4] Remove deprecated commands

From: John Keeping <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:10:42 +0000

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 11:13:45AM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> John Keeping wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:25:51AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >> John Keeping <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >>> "git repo-config", "git tar-tree", "git lost-found" and "git
> >>> peek-remote" have all been deprecated since at least Git 1.5.4.
> [...]
> >> Probably good material to discuss during the next cycle.
> [...]
> > I was assuming these would be queued as a "held until 2.0" branch, but
> 
> Please no. :)  We already have a nice set of features for 2.0 and I
> hope people have as few excuses not to upgrade as possible.  Anything
> that actually needs the same kind of treatment that is introduced now
> should wait for 3.0.
> 
> Removing repo-config, tar-tree, and peek-remote sounds fine to me
> (though I haven't thought much about it either way) and I agree that
> it wouldn't need to wait for an x.0 release.

For "git repo-config", the 1.5.4 release notes say that it will "be
removed in the next feature release".  I'm not sure what a "feature
release" is, but if 1.6.0 wasn't one, then I think 2.0 will be the next
one.

Although, I now see that howto/maintain-git.txt says a feature release
is numbered vX.Y.Z, so perhaps it should have been removed long before
now...