Subject: Re: Re: [PATCH] Improvements to git-archive tests and add_submodule_odb()

From: Heiko Voigt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 19:18:07 +0100

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 04:14:37PM -0800, Nick Townsend wrote:
> diff --git a/submodule.c b/submodule.c
> index 1905d75..1ea46be 100644
> --- a/submodule.c
> +++ b/submodule.c
> @@ -143,7 +143,7 @@ void stage_updated_gitmodules(void)
>  		die(_("staging updated .gitmodules failed"));
>  }
>  
> -static int add_submodule_odb(const char *path)
> +int add_submodule_odb(const char *path)

I am not against making add_submodule_odb() usable from outside
submodule.c but I would prefer if this change goes along with some code
actually using it. The reason being that when refactoring or extending
you immediately know that a function is file local only with the static
keyword. Without anyone using this function from outside submodule.c
this fact is still true and so the code should say, IMO.

Its not a big deal to postpone removing this keyword in a later commit
so I would like to drop this change from the patch. The documentation
fix is fine with me.

Cheers Heiko