Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 02/21] path.c: rename vsnpath() to git_vsnpath()

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 09:11:47 -0800

Duy Nguyen wrote:
>>> Ramsay Jones wrote:

>>>> :-D I renamed this _from_ git_vsnpath() in commit 5b3b8fa2 ("path.c: Remove the
>>>> 'git_' prefix from a file scope function", 04-09-2012), because ... well it's a
>>>> file scope function! (i.e. the git_ prefix implies greater than file scope).
>>>> I'm not very good at naming things, so ...
[...]
> OK I go with this. I think it makes sense
>
> vsnpath -> do_git_path

I think this renaming would be still losing clarity --- it loses the
information that this is the vsnprintf-like variant of git_path.

Do we actually have a convention that functions with git_ prefix
should be global?  If git_path were not global, would it have to be
renamed?  If git_vsnpath should be renamed to avoid mistaking it for
git's replacement of a hypothetical standard library vsnpath function,
shouldn't git_path, git_pathdup, etc be renamed for the same reason as
well?

> its three callers are
>
> git_vsnpath -> strbuf_git_path (it's updated to take strbuf)
> git_path
> git_pathdup

Yeah, independently of everything else, a strbuf variant sounds nice.

Thanks,
Jonathan