Subject: Re: I have end-of-lifed cvsps

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:06:04 -0500

Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>:
> If you haven't tried cvs2git yet, please start it up somewhere in the
> background.  It might take a while but it should have no trouble with
> your repos, and then you can compare the tools based on experience
> rather than speculation.

That would be a good thing.

Michael, in case you're wondering why I've continued to work on
cvs-fast-export when cvs2git exists, there are exactly two reasons:
(a) it's a whole lot faster on repos that aren't large enough to
demand multipass, and (b) the single-whole-dumpfile output makes it a
better reposurgeon front end.

> But the traffic on the cvs2svn/cvs2git mailing list has trailed off
> essentially to zero, so either the software is perfect already (haha) or
> most everybody has already converted.  Therefore I don't invest any
> significant time in that project these days.

Reasonable.  I'm doing this as a temporary break from working on GPSD.
I don't expect to be investing a lot of time in it after I get it
to a 1.0 state.
-- 
		<a href="http://www.catb.org/~esr/">Eric S. Raymond</a>