Subject: git-mv-submodule

From: fREW Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 03:48:33 -0600

Hello all,

I was on a plane, moving around some of the many (30ish) submodules in
my dotfiles and got really annoyed at how much work it is (move the
dir, remove old from git, add new to git, fix .gitmodules, fix
.git/config, fix all the parts of the submodule config) so I wrote a
perl script to work for the most common case.

As far as I know it should work for anyone not doing Something Weird,
ie manually fiddling with their submodules.  The main case it does not
support that I'd like to in the future is submodules containing
submodules, and also at some point I'd like to wrap git mv to invoke
this script on demand automatically.

Note that this script requires perl 5.10.1, released in 2009.  If you
are stuck with something inferior to that you can comment out the
version at the top and the autodie usage and it should work further
back, but won't be quite as robust.

Enjoy!
-- 
fREW Schmidt
http://blog.afoolishmanifesto.com