Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/3] t0000: set TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY for sub-tests

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 14:20:03 -0800

Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>  - git used to only use TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY to decide where test
>    results go.  You'd have to use --root to set a custom location for
>    trash directories.
>
>  - in that old setup, t0000 leaves around extra trash directories with
>    --root, since the sub-tests inherit the parent test's $root and put
>    trash directories there.

Nope, since sub-tests are run with fork + exec, which loses $root...

>  - after 38b074d, that old problem still exists and furthermore
>    t0000 leaves around extra trash directories even when --root is not
>    in use, since the sub-tests inherit the value of
>    TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY from the parent test.

... meaning the TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY problem is the only problem....

>  - this patch fixes the TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY problem (but not the $root
>    problem) by setting TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY explicitly
>
> Does that sound right?  If so, should sub-tests unset $root, too?

... and there's no need to 'unset root'.

So the patch itself looks right.  I think describing the symptoms up
front would probably be enough to make the commit message less
confusing to read.

Jonathan