Subject: Re: [PATCH 9/9] trailer: add tests for "git interpret-trailers"

From: Josh Triplett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:27:19 -0800

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 01:05:25PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Josh Triplett <[email-masked]> writes:
> >>  - With your scheme, if you already had _one_ trailing SPs in the
> >>    input, it would be hard to spot in the source;
> >
> > Git makes them quite difficult to miss. :)
> 
> That is irrelevant, isn't it?
> 
> This is about protecting the source in the editor, before you run
> "git show --whitespace=trailing-space", "git diff --check", etc.

That was exactly my point: such lines shouldn't exist, and rather than
including the trailing space and following it with a character that then
needs removing, it seems more sensible to me to omit the trailing space
and insert it via an almost identical sed line.  Git already helps
ensure that trailing space won't exist on *any* line, including those; I
don't see how an extra character after the space (making it no longer
trailing space) makes it any more or less likely that those lines would
have trailing space.

In any case, I don't care enough to argue the point further; it was just
a style suggestion.

- Josh Triplett