Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] t0000 cleanups

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 14:28:33 -0800

Jeff King wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:51:25AM -0800, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> 	These scratch areas for sub-tests should be under the t0000
>> 	trash directory, but because the TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY
>> 	setting from the toplevel test leaks
[...]
> This is not exactly true. The TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY setting does not
> leak. t0000 sets $TEST_DIRECTORY (which it must, so the sub-scripts can
> find test-lib.sh and friends), and then TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY uses that
> as a default if it is not explicitly set.

So I should have said something like the following instead:

	These scratch areas for sub-tests should be under the t0000 trash
	directory, but because TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY defaults to
	TEST_DIRECTORY which is exported to help sub-tests find test-lib.sh,
	the sub-test trash directories are created under the toplevel t/
	directory instead.  Because some of the sub-tests simulate failures,
	their trash directories are kept around.

	Fix it by explicitly setting TEST_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY appropriately
	for sub-tests.

Thanks for catching it.

Jonathan