Subject: Re: Consistency question

From: Andreas Krey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:44:34 +0100

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:40:29 +0000, David Kastrup wrote:
...
> With a single root, "depth" helps a lot.  When looking for a common
> parent of a number of commits, you first shorten all ancestries to the
> same size and then you can look for the point of convergence in
> lockstep.

Hmm, how about traversing from all the start commits downwards
simultaneously, noting which start you say each commit from, and stopping
when you have a commit carrying all start labels?

I don't quite see how the same size plus lockstep works out (but the
'same size' part is possibly the same as my 'concurrent traversal').

> But didn't git forego the "single root" requirement in its commit DAG at
> some point of time?

About at the beginning, I guess. Nothing in the data model ever required it?

> ... The rest is just idle curiosity.

Me too, mostly. I may have to do some traversal for tree/dag painting.

Andreas

-- 
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:29:21 -0800