Subject: Re: [PATCH] send-email: If the ca path is not specified, use the defaults

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:50:24 -0800

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ruben Kerkhof <[email-masked]> writes:

>> As a last check, I set smtpsslcertpath = /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem in
>> ~/.gitconfig and git-send-email works fine now.
>
> Which would mean that the existing code, by blindly defaulting to
> /etc/ssl/certs/ and misdiagnosing that the directory is meant to be
> used as SSL_ca_path, breaks a set-up that otherwise _should_ work.
[...]
> Ram (who did 35035bbf), with the patch from Ruben in the thread, do
> you get either the warning or SSL failure?  Conceptually, the
> resulting code is much better, I think, without blindly defaulting
> /etc/ssl/certs and instead of relying on the underlying platform
> just working out of the box with its own default,

FWIW this should help on Mac OS X, too.  Folks using git on mac
at $DAYJOB have been using the workaround described at
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/CACertificates#Mac_OS_X_10.6_and_higher
so I forgot to report it. :/

Thanks,
Jonathan