Subject: Re: error: src refspec refs/heads/master matches more than one.

From: Josef Wolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 23:53:48 +0100

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 08:32:07AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>  A. You are not allowed to call your branch with a string that begins with
>     'refs/heads/'.
>  B. Why?
>  A. Because it will confuse you.
>  B. I know what I am doing.
>  A. ???

Your reply in
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/1-8-0-git-checkout-refs-heads-foo-checks-out-branch-foo-td5999936.html
suggests that one should explicitly use the refs/heads prefix to to work
around ambiguities in some situations.

Are there any best-practices sugestions out there about when to use the
refs/heads prefix and when not? It looks like git delibaretly cuts off this
prefix in some situations.

I don't think my problem stems from something like "git branch refs/heads/master"
Anyway, some clarifications about the usage of this prefix would be great!

-- 
Josef Wolf
[email-masked]