Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] Make git more user-friendly during a merge conflict

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:26:01 -0800

Hi,

Andrew Wong wrote:

> The first two patches are just about rewording a message, and adding messages
> to tell users to use "git merge --abort" to abort a merge.

Sounds like a good idea.  I look forward to reading the patches.

> We could stop here and hope that the users would read the messages, but I think
> git could be a bit more user-friendly. The last patch might be a bit more
> controversial. It changes the default behavior of "git reset" to default to
> "git reset --merge" during a merge conflict. I imagine that's what the user
> would want most of the time, and not "git reset --mixed".

I don't think that's a good idea.  I'm not sure what new users would
expect; in any case, making the command context-dependent just makes
the learning process harder imho.  And for experienced users, this
would be a bad regression.

An 'advice' message pointing the user to 'git merge --abort' might
make sense, though.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jonathan