Subject: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] WinGit - native x86/x64 Git for Windows

From: Marat Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:58:32 +0400

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 05:24:33PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Marat, please do not add to the confusion. "msysGit" is the name of the
> *development environment* for developing Git for Windows.

This confusion comes from the fact that major part of msysGit is packaged
with Git for Windows to be used at runtime.

If you insist on msysGit-is-a-development-environment, you have to admit
that msysGit is technically a fork of msys.

My approach undoes this fork step and uses upstream runtime environment
as-is, be it msys, msys2, Cygwin or even SUA [1]. I could even make it a
noop and say "dear user, I don't care how, but please put sh/awk/find/etc
on PATH to make Git work, like things normally happen in *nix world".

Actually, even if Git was pure C, things like `git filter-branch` would
be almost useless without coreutils & friends.

> After all, there is no reason for yet another fork.

If there wasn't, mingwGitDevEnv would not be started.

I'd say I am doing a 'rebase' instead of 'fork' by using codebase of
Git for Windows (upstream Git sources with Windows-specific patches)
but replacing msysGit-provided runtime environment with another one.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Services_for_UNIX

-- 
-- 
*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "msysGit" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email-masked]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email-masked]
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "msysGit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.