Subject: Re: What is missing from Git v2.0

From: Theodore Ts'o <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 16:45:06 -0400

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 09:47:57PM +0200, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I have these aliases as well, except br => b, and cp => pi. 'br' is probably
> > better, but not sure as 'cp' which can be confusing.
> 
> If by confusing you refer to "cp" to copy files, that's actually what
> I like about it: cherry-pick is somewhat like copying commits, thus
> "cp" makes much sense to me.

The problem is that between "git rm" and "git mv", if we default "git
cp" to mean "cherry-pick" there could easily be user confusion.

I'm not sure that cherry-pick is used that often it really needs a two
character shortcut.  Maybe just "git pick"?

Personally, "git branch" and "git checkout" are finger macros that I
type very quickly, so creating two character alias probably wouldn't
save me that much time.  But I do appreicate that there are folks for
which such aliases might be useful.

						- Ted