Subject: Re: [PATCH] tag: add -i and --introduced modifier for --contains

From: Jan Kara <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 12:27:13 +0200

On Thu 17-04-14 10:04:52, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> So perhaps the rule should be updated to do something like:
> 
>     - find candidate tags that can be used to "describe --contains"
>       the commit A, yielding v3.4, v3.5 (not shown), and v9.0;
> 
>     - among the candidate tags, cull the ones that contain another
>       candidate tag, rejecting v3.5 (not shown) and v9.0;
>
>     - among the surviving tags, pick the closest.
  I guess all parties agree with the first two points (and actually I would
prefer not to assume anything about tag names and consider v3.4-rc1 as good
as v3.4). Regarding the strategy what to select when there are several
remaining tags after first two steps I would prefer to output all such
tags. As people have mentioned in this thread it varies a lot between
projects what people want to see (and in some cases I can imagine people
really *want* to see all the tags). So printing all such tags would let
them select the desired tag with grep or some more elaborate scripting...
Just a thought.

								Honza
-- 
Jan Kara <[email-masked]>
SUSE Labs, CR