Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/12] MINGW: config.mak.uname: drop USE_NED_ALLOCATOR

From: Marat Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 11:48:14 +0400

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 05:23:25PM +0200, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM, Marat Radchenko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > nedalloc was initially added in f0ed82 to fix slowness of standard WinXP
> > memory allocator. Since WinXP is EOLed, this point is no longer valid.
> >
> > The actual reason behind this commit is incompatibility of malloc.c.h
> > with MinGW-W64 headers. Alternative solution implies updating nedalloc
> > to something newer.
> 
> Did you measure that malloc on newer Windows-versions are actually
> faster? AFAIK, malloc does a lot more inside the CRT than in the
> kernel...

Windows 8, msysGit.

git repack -adf on msysgit/git (best of 3 runs)

+ nedalloc: 10.5s
- nedalloc: 11s

git repack -adf on torvalds/linux (best of 3 runs)

+ nedalloc: 3m 24s
- nedalloc: 3m 47s

We need to make a decision: drop nedalloc, update nedalloc to later release,
patch nedalloc to make it work under MinGW-W64 or disable nedalloc under
MinGW-W64 (still leaving it enabled under MinGW).

P.S. Waiting for "Resolving deltas" when cloning torvalds/linux is a pain,
perhaps someone should run gprof on it.