Subject: Re: BUG or FEATURE? Use of '/' in branch names

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 15:43:12 -0700

Hi,

Keith Derrick wrote:

> Yes, I've since found some discussion on this, and had already changed 
> to use '-' to append the classifier.
>
> But the other problem is that I can't easily find this restriction 
> documented anywhere - which means it comes as a suprise to people.

That sounds like another serious bug (the first one was the lousy
error message).  The current behavior is intended, and it sounds like
the documentation is lagging.

Where did you expect to find information about this?  Knowing that
would help a lot in fixing it.

(The nicest way to indicate where you expected to read about this
is with a patch against the relevant file in Documentation/*.txt,
of course.)

Thanks again,
Jonathan