Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/12] MINGW: compat/poll/poll.c: undef NOGDI

From: Marat Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 00:55:52 +0400

On Sun, May 04, 2014 at 08:52:44PM +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Thank you very much for this analysis.
> It enables us to redirect you the third time: to report this as a
> bug in MinGW-W64 !  ;-)

I'll report this to MinGW-W64 soon, though even if/when they fix
the issue on their side, I'd still like to have a workaround in
Git to be able to use older MinGW-W64 versions that didn't
receive a fix.

> Seriously, it looks you found the best description of the problem,
> and it would be nice if you could modify your patch so that it
> is really a work around: it would be in effect only for MinGW-W64,
> and the comment would explain that this is a hack to work around the
> bug.  

Workarounds do not have to be ugly and full of #ifdef's.

> If you manage to change the defs for poll.c without changing its
> content, no one could tell you to report to gnulib first.

v1 does exactly this.

> OTOH, if MsgWaitForMultipleObjects is present ustream (in gnulib's
> poll.c, sorry that I cannot check right now), it still might be
> better to submit the work-around there first.

Workaround is "just don't pass -DNOGDI on MinGW-W64 if you want
MsgWaitForMultipleObjects", there's nothing to send to gnulib.
After all, was there a strong reason why Git started passing it?
What is there was no option to disable part of windows.h?

-- 
-- 
*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "msysGit" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email-masked]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email-masked]
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "msysGit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.