Subject: Re: Conforming to pep8

From: William Giokas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 22:57:59 -0500

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 09:10:25PM -0500, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> William Giokas wrote:
> > Which is a whole bunch of errors and warnings thrown by pep8. Is pep8
> > just getting put by the wayside? I would much rather have these
> > scripts conform to that and have an actual coding style rather than
> > just be a hodge-podge of different styles.
> 
> Personally I try to follow pep8 in git-remote-{hg,bzr}, but only to some
> extent.
> 
> I do this:
> 
>   [pep8]
>   ignore = E401,E302,E201,E202,E203,E126,E128

(So I haven't looked at git-remote-bzr, but I can comment on
git-remote-hg)

Is there a reason for these?

E401: Multi-line imports seems like something that would just be
changing one line

E302: Blank lines don't seem to be that hard to do either. That can even
be automated quite reliably. It shouldn't detract from the readability,
juts makes the file a bit longer.

E20{1,2,3}: Extra whitespace is something that just makes things more
consistent and readable.

E12{6,8}: continuation line indenting is another thing that helps
consistency.

>   max-line-length = 160

The standard states that this should, at most, be increased to a value
between 80 and 100.

Note that I'm not trying to yell, but these are just things that are set
forth in pep8 but don't seem to be set at all in git-remote-hg. I really
think that git's python 'bits' should be able to pass a default pep8
without issue.

> That said there's a couple of issues present that I didn't notice.
> Thanks for checking.

Hope to see some improvements! git-remote-hg is really quite useful for
me, and I hope it can be as good as possible!

Thanks,

-- 
William Giokas | KaiSforza | http://kaictl.net/
GnuPG Key: 0x73CD09CF
Fingerprint: F73F 50EF BBE2 9846 8306  E6B8 6902 06D8 73CD 09CF