Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 06/25] contrib: remove 'diffall'

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 11:50:35 -0700

Hi Tim,

Tim Henigan wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Felipe Contreras
> <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>  contrib/diffall/README      |  31 ------
>>  contrib/diffall/git-diffall | 257 --------------------------------------------
>>  2 files changed, 288 deletions(-)
>>  delete mode 100644 contrib/diffall/README
>>  delete mode 100755 contrib/diffall/git-diffall
>
> I see no problem with removing this script from contrib.  However, the commit message
> should mention that git-difftool learned all the features of git-diffall when the '--dir-diff'
> option was added in v1.7.11 (ca. June 2012).

A few questions:

 * Do you still use git-diffall?  Since it hasn't been a maintenance
   burden, I wouldn't mind keeping it if it still has users.

 * Any thoughts about how to help people who have been using it to
   migrate to difftool?  Would a note in the release notes to look
   into the --dir-diff option to difftool be enough, or are there
   more specific pointers that could be useful?

Once those questions are dealt with, this seems like a nice small
cleanup.  Thanks for the quick feedback.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan