Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] contrib/subtree bugfix: Can't `add` annotated tag

From: James Denholm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 21:32:06 +0000

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 04:12:56PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> James Denholm <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm not sure that can actually happen - peel_committish is essentially
> > implemented as `rev-parse $arg^0` (though with a bit of bling, of
> > course), and to my understanding FETCH_HEAD will always parse to a
> > committish - I could have missed something, of course.
> 
>  $ git fetch git://repo.or.cz/alt-git junio-gpg-pub
>  $ git rev-parse FETCH_HEAD^0

That would be a problem... Sadly I doubt I'll have time to develop a
solution into subtree's overall design before the end of June. As that
eventual change would probably involve altering the inclusions of this
fix, and that users have a workaround in adding either squashed commits
or referencing lightweight tags, would you rather drop the patch and
wait for that?

---
Regards,
James Denholm.