Subject: Re: feature request - implement a "GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL" equivalent, but processed BEFORE .gitconfig

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:27:46 -0700

Hi,

Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> Right now, there isn't any way to have a systemwide profile script
> that tries to determine a better default for the user name/email
> values, such as in the case of shared logins. The best I've been
> able to do for now is use the 'EMAIL' var.

I wouldn't mind having a GIT_EMAIL envvar with the semantics you mean,
but can you say more about the use case?  What's wrong with the usual
EMAIL environment variable?

[...]
> [include]
>    path = !/usr/local/bin/gen-git-env

This is scary in terms of privilege escalation attacks.  ("Admin,
could you please take a look at this repo?  When I run 'git status',
...".)

That said, smudge/clean filters may have the same problem already.

Thanks,
Jonathan