Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 4/5] dir.c: rename to name_compare()

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:09:56 -0700

Jeremiah Mahler wrote:

>     This is a case where cache_name_compare() was used even though it had
>     nothing to do with a cache.  The new name makes it clear that no cache
>     is involved.

That's a perfect sort of thing to put in the commit message. ;-)

Unlike patches 2 and 3, this could make sense to me as a separate
patch from 1/5.  Except... how does git work at all with patch 1 and
without this patch?  I thought that patch removed the public
cache_name_compare function.

Would it make sense to delay the removal of cache_name_compare until a
patch at the end of the series?

The patch is small enough that squashing into patch 1 seems fine, too.

[...]
> Rename the call to cache_name_compare() to name_compare().

It's not actually renaming but calling a different function, right?
So I'd say something like

	read_directory: use name_compare instead of cache_name_compare

	This is a case where cache_name_compare() was used even though it had
	nothing to do with a cache.  The new name makes it clear that no cache
	is involved.

	No functional change intended.

Thanks,
Jonathan