Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] tag: support configuring --sort via .gitconfig

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:38:36 -0400

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 09:03:53AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> > Do we want to go this way?
> 
> I do not speak for Peff, but I personally think this is just a "fun"
> demonstration, nothing more, and my gut feeling is that it would
> make things unnecessary complex without much real gain to pursue it
> further.

Yeah, it is a little too complicated for what it is buying us here. If
we had a real error stack with allocated error types or something, then
callers could do more useful programmatic things with it. But:

  1. We usually only care about system errors in such a case, and get by
     with using errno.

  2. I would not want to annotate all of the library-ish functions with
     case-specific return types. That is a lot of work for little gain.

I think my favorite of the suggestions so far is basically the two-line:

  error: sort specification is bad...
  warning: ignoring invalid tag.sort

There are tons of places in git where we already do this kind of
"error chaining" over multiple lines (and multiple calls to error()),
and it doesn't require any new code or techniques.

But what is in v8 is not so bad from my cursory glance.

-Peff

PS I am traveling this week and will probably be a lot less responsive.
   Please don't let me hold up your conversations.