Subject: Re: a more helpful message on "git status" output

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 14:05:00 -0700

Julián Landerreche wrote:

> A more verbose, educational output could read:
>
>   (use "git pull" to fetch newer commits from upstream and update your local branch)
>   (use "git merge" to update your local branch)

Yes, I like this idea, with a few qualifications:

 1. The first line is long.  Is there a shorter way to say the same
    thing?  Maybe

    (use "git pull" to fetch newer commits and update your local branch)

 2. s/from upstream/from $remote/ (e.g., "from origin") in the first
    line?  Though that would make problem (1) worse.

 3. Is there some way to make it more obvious these two hints are
    independent suggestions and that the user doesn't need to do both?
    Maybe something as simple as

    (or use "git merge" to update your local branch)

 4. Should the advice differ based on whether the current branch is set
    up for merging or rebasing?

Thanks,
Jonathan