Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: fix missing text for rev-parse --verify

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 16:14:38 -0700

brian m. carlson wrote:

> The caret (^) is used as a markup symbol in AsciiDoc.  Due to the
> inability of AsciiDoc to parse a line containing an unmatched caret, it
> omitted the line from the output, resulting in the man page missing the
> end of a sentence.

Wow.  Usually asciidoc is more forgiving than that.  Are there other
pages affected by this too (e.g., "the commit HEAD^" in
user-manual.txt)?

[...]
> --- a/Documentation/git-rev-parse.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/git-rev-parse.txt
> @@ -102,7 +102,7 @@ eval "set -- $(git rev-parse --sq --prefix "$prefix" "$@")"
>  +
>  If you want to make sure that the output actually names an object in
>  your object database and/or can be used as a specific type of object
> -you require, you can add "^{type}" peeling operator to the parameter.
> +you require, you can add "\^{type}" peeling operator to the parameter.

Does using {caret} for ^ work, too?  Generally in asciidoc using a
backslash to escape delimiter characters leads to trouble when the
number of delimiters changes or the text is copy+pasted, since in a
context where the backslash is unneeded it ends up being rendered as a
literal backslash.

Alternatively, does "`^{type}`" work?

Thanks,
Jonathan