Subject: Re: Amending merge commits?

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:31:46 -0700

David Besen wrote:
> Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> This is how pull --rebase works.  It turns your single-parent commits
>> into a sequence of patches on top of upstream and completely ignores
>> your merge commits.
>>
>> There is a --rebase=preserve option that makes a halfhearted attempt
>> to preserve your merges --- perhaps that would help?  The
>> git-rebase(1) documentation has more details.
>
> Ah thanks, I'll RTFM better in the future.

No, not a problem.  It's very useful to see examples of where git's
behavior was counterintuitive and the documentation was more obscure
than it could have been.

I should also emphasize the "halfhearted" above.  There's a lot of
room for improvement in rebase --preserve-merges's handling of "evil"
and otherwise amended merges.

Thanks again,
Jonathan