Subject: Re: cherry picking and merge

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 15:42:27 -0700

Mike Stump wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2014, at 1:02 PM, Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> It isn't, and that's deliberate
>
> Deliberate bugs are still bugs.

Yes, you and I disagree about what the behavior should be.

I actively prefer the current behavior over the one you proposed,
unless I'm misunderstanding the one you proposed.  As I understand it,
there would be no way to undo the mistake of cherry-picking a change
that didn't belong on "maint".

You said that 3-way merge doesn't fit your idea of what a merge is.
It does fit mine.

I'm even slightly against there being an option for the 'git cherry'
based thing.  I think it would be a support burden.  But if someone
else wants to do the work of implementing it, I wouldn't stop them
(and would instead just help make sure the documentation is crystal
clear).

Hoping that clarifies,
Jonathan