Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Aug 2014, #01; Fri, 1)

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 04:11:02 -0400

On Fri, Aug 01, 2014 at 03:01:31PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * jk/stash-list-p (2014-07-30) 7 commits
>  - SQUASH??? future-proof, log --cc should imply -p without being told
>  - stash: show combined diff with "stash show"
>  - stash: default listing to "--cc --simplify-combined-diff"
>  - add --simplify-combined-diff option
>  - pretty: make empty userformats truly empty
>  - pretty: treat "--format=" as an empty userformat
>  - revision: drop useless string offset when parsing "--pretty"
> 
>  Teach "git stash list -p" to DWIM to "git stash list -p --cc", with
>  even nicer twist to collapse combined diff from identical two
>  parents into a regular diff.

What do you want to do with this topic?

I think we want to drop the "stash show" patch, based on the discussion
we had.  The first three patches are nominally prep for that final
patch, but actually are things I've often wanted over the years. I'd be
glad if they made it in separately, but there were some compatibility
questions.

As clever as I find the --simplify-combined-diff patch, I think we came
to the conclusion that "--first-parent" is probably the reasonable
choice. It matches "stash show", and it's simple and obvious. Do we just
want a patch to specify "--first-parent" to stash-log? That would make
"-p" just work. The only downside is that there isn't a good way to turn
it off. Is it enough to say "if you want to do something clever, use
git-log"?

Or do we want to scrap the whole thing and try to update the
documentation to make it more clear why "-p" by itself doesn't do
anything?

-Peff