Subject: Re: Feature Request: `git remote prune --all`

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 03:18:05 -0400

On Sat, Aug 16, 2014 at 07:52:44PM -0500, Travis Carden wrote:

> I would like to propose the addition of a `git remote prune --all`
> command option or similar mechanism for pruning all remotes in a
> repository. For lack of such a feature, I've been using the following
> bash alias:
> 
> alias git-remote-prune-all='for REMOTE in `git remote`; do echo
> "Pruning $REMOTE"; git remote prune $REMOTE; done;'

I think in general we've been moving "git remote" away from actually
interacting with the other side, and pushing those features into "git
fetch". These days you can use "git fetch --prune --all" to do what you
want.

Note that this isn't _exactly_ the same thing. Fetch's prune will do a
normal fetch and _also_ prune. There is no way to say "just prune, but
do not update existing refs". If that detail is important, I think I'd
rather see the feature go the other way from your request: teach
git-fetch a "--prune-only" mode.

-Peff