Subject: Re: Issuing warning when hook does not have execution permission

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 04:00:02 -0400

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 04:05:21PM +1000, Babak M wrote:

> I saw that if a hook file is present in .git/hooks and it does not
> have execution permissions it is silently ignored.
> 
> I thought it might be worthwhile issuing a warning such as "Warning:
> pre-commit hook exists but it cannot be executed due to insufficient
> permissions".
> 
> Not sure if this has been discussed before. I searched the archive but
> didn't see anything.
> 
> Thoughts, suggestions? Is there anything like that already?

Once upon a time we shipped sample hooks with their execute bits turned
off, and such a warning would have been very bad.

These days we give them a ".sample" extension (because Windows installs
had trouble with the execute bit :) ), so I think it should be OK in
theory. Installing a new version of git on top of an old one with "make
install" does not clean up old files. So somebody who has continuously
upgraded their git via "make install" to the same directory would have
the old-style sample files. Under your proposal, they would get a lot of
warnings.

However, that change came in v1.6.0, just over 6 years ago. We can
probably discount that (and if it does happen, maybe it is time for that
someone to clean up the other leftover cruft from past git installs).

-Peff