Subject: [PATCH 1/3] i18n: treat "make pot" as an explicitly-invoked target

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 00:32:08 -0400

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>

po/git.pot is normally used as-is and not regenerated by people
building git, so it is okay if an explicit "make po/git.pot" always
automatically regenerates it.  Depend on the magic FORCE target
instead of explicitly keeping track of dependencies.

This simplifies the makefile, in particular preparing for a moment
when $(LIB_H), which is part of $(LOCALIZED_C), can be computed on the
fly. It also fixes a slight breakage in which changes to perl and shell
scripts did not trigger a rebuild of po/git.pot.

We still need a dependency on GENERATED_H, to force those files to be
built when regenerating git.pot.

Signed-off-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
---
Mostly as you sent it, but I mentioned the missing script dependencies
in the commit message, too.

 Makefile | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 2320de5..cf0ccdf 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -2138,7 +2138,7 @@ LOCALIZED_SH += t/t0200/test.sh
 LOCALIZED_PERL += t/t0200/test.perl
 endif
 
-po/git.pot: $(LOCALIZED_C)
+po/git.pot: $(GENERATED_H) FORCE
 	$(QUIET_XGETTEXT)$(XGETTEXT) -o$@+ $(XGETTEXT_FLAGS_C) $(LOCALIZED_C)
 	$(QUIET_XGETTEXT)$(XGETTEXT) -o$@+ --join-existing $(XGETTEXT_FLAGS_SH) \
 		$(LOCALIZED_SH)
-- 
2.1.0.346.ga0367b9