Subject: Re: Bug report: Author/Commit date in ISO 8601 format

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:22:03 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 10:10:33AM -0400, Jason Pyeron wrote:

> > But I am not sure that "omitted" means "can be replaced with a space".
> > And while you can define "by mutual agreement" as "git defines the
> > format, so any consumers agree to it" that is not necessarily 
> > useful to
> > somebody who wants to feed the result to an iso8601 parser 
> > that does not
> > know or care about git (i.e., it shoves the conversion work onto the
> > person in the middle).
> 
> Omitted /T?/ does not mean replaced with another character.

I would agree. But that is the argument made in the thread I linked
earlier.

I do not think there is much point in re-opening the argument, though.
Whatever git generates, changing the output would probably cause a lot
of pain.  We are likely better off adding a new, "real" iso8601 format
option (we can even deprecate the old one, or slate it for switching,
but we would need a notification period).

-Peff