Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] Makefile: use `find` to determine static header dependencies

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:29:59 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 09:54:19AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> Actually as you are not excluding CVS, RCS, etc., and using ??* as
> >> the starting point will exclude .git, .hg, etc. at the top, I think
> >> we can shorten it even further and say
> >> 
> >> 	find ??* -name Documentation -prune -o -name \*.h
> >> 
> >> or something.
> >
> > I had originally considered starting with "find *", but I was worried
> > about shell globbing overflowing command-line limits here. "echo *" on a
> > built tree is about 12K.
> 
> OK.  What I queued is still your original which is the most
> conservative among various "fun" alternatives we have seen so far on
> this thread, so we should be good ;-)

The only thing I think mine does not do that Jonathan suggested is
dropping .hg, etc. I do not know why anyone would track git in hg, but
it might make sense to s/.git/.?/ in what I sent.

(I noticed also that you did not queue the third patch to drop
CHECK_HEADER_DEPENDENCIES; I'm OK if we keep it, but I wanted to make
sure it was not an oversight).

-Peff