Subject: Re: problem with def of inet_ntop() in git-compat-util.h as well as other places

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 15:28:03 -0700

Hi again,

dev wrote:

> So I guess I have to create a config.mak file from somewhere.

Sorry, let's take a step back.

What exact commands do you use to build, starting from a pristine
extracted tarball?  What output do you get back?

[...]
> Undefined                       first referenced
>  symbol                             in file
> libiconv_close                      libgit.a(utf8.o)  (symbol belongs to implicit dependency /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so.2)

Sounds like NEEDS_LIBICONV should be set on Solaris.  You can test
this by passing NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease on the gmake command line and
seeing what happens.

But it seems odd --- was iconv once part of libc on Solaris and then
moved out or something?  There have been lots of people building git
on Solaris over the years (and writing patches to fix other build
problems) without needing to set that flag.

[...]
>> You would potentially also need to turn off a few feature flags manually

The options for tweaking the build are described at the top of the
Makefile.

Thanks again,
Jonathan