Subject: Re: revert top most commit

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:22:43 -0700

Keller, Jacob E wrote:
>> On Wed, 2014-08-27 at 21:14 +0000, Keller, Jacob E wrote:

>>> I am having trouble using revert. If I attempt to
>>>
>>> $ git revert <sha1id>
>>>
>>> where sha1id is the same as the HEAD commit, I instead get the output of
>>> what looks like git status.
[...]
> It's actually not my repository, I was helping a co-worker, and thought
> I'd ask if anyone here knew if it was expected behavior or not.

More details about the output would help --- otherwise people have to
guess[*].  I'm guessing your co-worker's working tree is not clean.
Commiting or stashing their changes first might get things working.

Hope that helps,
Jonathan

[*] Another nice thing about quoting output is that it becomes more
obvious what about it wasn't helpful, which sometimes leads to patches
from kind people on the list to fix it.