Subject: Re: [PATCH] merge, pull: stop advising 'commit -a' in case of conflict

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:16:38 -0700

Matthieu Moy wrote:

> Signed-off-by: Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]>
[...]
> ---
>  advice.c    | 3 +--
>  git-pull.sh | 2 +-
>  2 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

Thanks for taking it on.

Reviewed-by: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>

[...]
> It was already on my todo-list, as a friend of mine semi-beginner with
> Git complained about the mis-advice the other day, and I had to agree.

That's a useful sort of thing to put in a commit message. :)

> Eventually, git could detect that conflicts have been resolved, but
> then that would be a different message, as not only "use git commit
> -a" could be resurected, but "Fix them up in the work tree" should be
> dropped when it is the case.

As is this --- when I wonder why code isn't a certain way, ideas for
future work found in the description for the blamed commit are often
helpful in explaining the current state and saving me from blind
alleys in changing it.

Anyway, this is already a very good change as-is.

Actually, I'd be nervous about suggesting "use git commit -a" without
at least also saying "inspect the result or run tests" in the
no-conflict-markers-found case.  Rerere sometimes makes mistakes, and
the result of picking one side when merging binary files can be even
worse.

Thanks,
Jonathan